PAGCOR allocates P2 million for earthquake victims in Leyte

Wednesday | Aug. 2, 2017 | 11:00 AM

PAGCOR allocates P2 million for earthquake victims in Leyte
The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) provided relief to families affected by the 6.5 magnitude earthquake in Ormoc, Leyte.

Ormoc, Leyte – The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) allocated over P2 million to provide relief assistance to families who were affected by the 6.5 magnitude earthquake in the province last July 6, 2017.

The amount was used for the purchase of relief goods and tent extensions that were distributed to 3,000 affected families in Ormoc City and Kananga town in Leyte.

Forty-one year old Elmer Garces and his family were among the evacuees at San Pablo evacuation site in Kananga, Leyte who received aid from PAGCOR. He shared that their situation at the evacuation site had been so deplorable that his family had to share a single tent with three other families. In spite of the inconvenience, he was glad that his family and other residents from Barangay Lake Danao are now out of danger zone.

PAGCOR allocates P2 million for earthquake victims in Leyte
PAGCOR allocated over P2 million for the relief goods and tent extensions that were distributed to 3,000 affected families in Ormoc City and Kananga town in Leyte.

Despite his family’s sad plight, Garces had to remain strong for his children. He is a single father to three kids aged 15, 12 and eight. "Kailangan talaga ng diskarte para kumita para sa pamilya pero sa ngayon, dito muna ako tatanggap ng kabuhayan sa malapit para mabantayan ko ang mga anak ko," he added.

Garces was thankful that government agencies like PAGCOR reached out to them in their time of great need. "Malaking kaginhawaan sa amin na may iba't-ibang ahensya na nagmamalasakit sa amin," Garces shared.

PAGCOR President and Chief Operating Officer Alfredo Lim led the relief mission in Ormoc and Kananga town in Leyte. During his visit, Lim stressed the importance of bayanihan during difficult times.

PAGCOR allocates P2 million for earthquake victims in Leyte
Kids whose homes were devastated by the earthquake in Kananga, Leyte join PAGCOR President Alfredo Lim and Director Rene Concordia during the agency’s relief operations in their town.
PAGCOR allocates P2 million for earthquake victims in Leyte
PAGCOR President and COO Alfredo Lim and Director Rene Concordia led the relief operations in Ormoc and Kananga town in Leyte.
   
PAGCOR allocates P2 million for earthquake victims in Leyte PAGCOR allocates P2 million for earthquake victims in Leyte PAGCOR allocates P2 million for earthquake victims in Leyte
Several houses, schools, roads and crops were damaged by the 6.5 magnitude earthquake in seven barangays in Kananga and 13 in Ormoc, Leyte.
     

"Kaagapay po ang PAGCOR ng national at local government at ng iba pang sektor para maibsan ang hirap na dinaranas ninyo. Hindi kayo nag-iisa, kasama ninyo kami at ang iba pang ahensiya ng gobyerno upang matugunan ang inyong mga pangangailan. Sa pangunguna po ng ating Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte at ng buong PAGCOR management and staff, kami po'y buong pusong nagagalak na maglingkod sa inyo lalo na sa panahon ng kalamidad," Lim said.

Lim was accompanied by PAGCOR Director Reynaldo Concordia and Assistant Vice President for Community Relations and Services Arnell Ignacio.

Meanwhile, Kananga town Mayor Rowena Codilla expressed her gratitude to PAGCOR for responding to the affected families.

"It's really a big help. PAGCOR’s kind gesture meant a lot to us as anything that can help our people is important," said the town official.

The City of Ormoc also received 1,500 relief packs and tent extensions from PAGCOR.

Seven barangays in Kananga and 13 in Ormoc were badly affected by the earthquake. It damaged several houses, schools, roads, crops, among others.

Go back